Veneziano Coffee Roasters fared very well in the 2012 Australian coffee championships, including the highly coveted Australian Barista Championship title as won by their production manager Craig Simon.
The event run by the AustralAsian Specialty Coffee Association (AASCA) is the highlight of the competition calendar, as it’s the highest recognition amongst industry peers and the prelude to the world competitions, to be held in Vienna this June.
Veneziano fielded competitors in each event represented by staff from Queensland, South Australia and Victoria and placed in each category. In addition to Craig’s win in the Australian Barista Championship, the company came out with third place in the other three competitions, being Australian Latte Art, Australia Cup Tasting and Australian Brewers Cup.
The results for Veneziano were:
- Craig Simon (VIC) winner, Australian Barista Championship 2012
- Jean-Paul Sutton (QLD) finalist and 6th place, Australian Barista Championship 2012
- Mike Wells (SA), semi-finalist and 7th place Australian Barista Championship 2012
- Craig Simon (VIC), second runner-up, Cup Tasting Championship 2012
- Patrick Connolly (VIC) open heats, Cup Tasting Championship 2012
- Jen Marks (VIC), second runner-up, Australian Latte Art Championship 2012
- Adrian Zwicker (QLD), finalist and 6th place Australian Latte Art Championship 2012
- Josh Tarlo (VIC) second runner-up, Cup Brewers Championship 2012
- Dylan Hewitt (VIC) open heats, Cup Brewers Championship 2012
While Craig Simon and Jean-Paul Sutton are seasoned competitors, the rest of the Veneziano team competed in the AASCA competition for the very first time and we look forward to seeing more of them in the future.
The results, as with all competitors, are testament to the extra hours and dedication put towards practicing their craft. Jen, an experienced barista and previous manager of the First Pour, Abbotsford, now roaster for Veneziano and winner of the 2011 Pura Latte Art competition, entered the national competition as Victorian Latte Art champion.
Adrian, a barista at the First Pour Brisbane also delivers beans to clients by day. Mike, the head barista at First Pour Adelaide finished in second place at the SA Barista Championship, competed in the repecharge in his first national competition and finished a more than respectable seventh place overall.
Josh and Dylan man
(and we mean man)
the First Pour in
Abbotsford and produce
some superb espresso
coffees as well as
with the brew bar and
the various brewing
techniques. Pat is one
of a team of dedicated
roasters in the roastery