In this Video Australian Latte art champion, Erin Sampson demonstrates the technique to retaining the crema base to create a canvas for your latte art to make it really stand out.
What you’ll need
- Espresso machine
- Fresh cold milk or your choice of alternative milk
- Freshly prepared espresso shots
- Range of different sized milk jugs
- Fill your jug half way with fresh cold milk and texture and heat to desired temperature. Spin milk in jug to create a glossy texture
- Hold the jug in your dominant hand in a comfortable position
- Start your pour high and slow, pouring directly into the centre of the crema. Start moving in small circles so you don’t create any unwanted white patches.
- At two thirds full stop pouring and drop the jug to rest on the side of the glass, bringing the tip of the jug close to the surface of the crema
- Increase the flow to allow the foam to flow out which will create your bright white pattern surrounded by a dark crema canvas
- Have fun trying different patterns and shapes by moving the tip of the jug around the cup